Moonshine is taking the UK BBQ scene by storm. Matt & Steve from Shine London are bring proper US moonshine to the UK. “Moonshine is engrained in the American story…..right from the very beginning. George Washington himself was a moonshiner. On his property in present day Virginia, he operated a distillery that boasted five stills and a boiler capable of producing 11,000 gallons of sweet, brand spanking new American whiskey. He was paramount in establishing the distilling process as we know it today.”
The guys at Shine supplied me with some Moonshine which tastes amazing and one of the flavours inspired me to want to make a BBQ Sauce from it, so here it goes.
- 2 Garlic Cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 Red Onion (finely chopped)
- Thumb Size Fresh Ginger (finely chopped)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 50g Butter
- 1 Apple (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Apple Pie Moonshine
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcester sauce
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup water
- ½ tsp all spice
- 1 tsp dried coriander leaf
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp runny honey
- Melt your butter in a large pan.
- Add your chopped onion, garlic and ginger and cook for a few minutes until the onions are softened.
- Add the chopped apple.
- Now add your moonshine and keep a high heat to reduce it.
- Add your ketchup, cider vinegar, whole grain mustard, sugar and water.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Add the all spice, smoked paprika, coriander leaf, runny honey and Worcester sauce and allow to simmer for around 20-30mins or until it starts to thicken then remove from the heat.
- Once the sauce has cooled you can use a hand blender to make it smooth.
- Lastly add a couple table spoons of Moonshine for luck 😉